Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

A Tour of My Classroom



Every productive classroom needs rules!  This is how they are displayed in my classroom.  I use anagrams for a lot of things around my room.  The students seem to remember things better this way.  





This picture illustrates the importance of collaboration in my classroom.  Students are arranged in heterogeneous groups and collaborate throughout the day in order to foster a sense of community and cooperation.
  



Students participate in learning stations (centers) while I pull students in small groups.  As long as you have rules and procedures established this flows smoothly.



I developed these vowel characters and the Story of Mother Vowel to help my first and second graders distinguish between long and short vowel sounds and to recognize vowel patterns within words.




This academic gallery was produced after an artist/author study of Chris Van Allsburg in December.  Students researched the life of the author and used one of his illustrations to produce an original creative writing piece.


We concluded our unit with a Polar Express Day where students drank hot chocolate in their pajamas and read their favorite Chris Van Allsburg stories to the class.
 


I use many graphic organizers throughout the year in order to teach to mastery and assess understanding. This is especially helpful to students in the primary grades where concepts such as comparing and contrasting can be difficult to understand.





The T.A.P.E. method is used in both reading and writing to deepen understanding of a text.  The tier it up word webs are used to increase vocabulary and comfort with writing “dangerous” words.



No comments:

Post a Comment